HW: Bob sings, Nik sings (was: Your captain is dead, part 2)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Feb 10 16:31:25 EST 1998

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:04:23 -0500, Walrus <walrus at THORAZINE.NEURON.NET>
queried:

>ii) now i'm interested in what songs bob does sing (it feels like the
>john/paul dilemma when i first started listening to the beatles).

To the best of my knowledge, Bob sings:
on 'Greasy Truckers Party' "Born To Go"
on 'Glastonbury Fayre' "Silver Machine", "Welcome"
on the single, "Seven By Seven" (middle recitation, Dave sings the verses)
on 'Space Ritual' "Born To Go", "The Awakening", "The Black Corridor",
"Orgone Accumulator", "Seven By Seven" (as above), "Ten Seconds of
Forever", "Welcome to the Future"
on the single, "Urban Guerilla"
on 'Astounding Sounds' everything except "Kadu Flyer"
on 'Quark...' and 'Hawklords/25 Years On' everything
on 'PXR5' everything except "Infinity", "Life Form" and "PXR5"

Nik sings:
on 'XiSoS' "You Shouldn't Do That" (shared w/Dave), "Master of the
Universe", "Children of the Sun"
on 'Doremi...' "Brainstorm"
on 'Greasy Truckers Party' & 'Space Ritual' see above
on 'HotMG' "D-Rider"
on 'WotEoT' "The Wizard Blew His Horn", "Standing On The Edge", "Dying Seas"
on 'Astounding Sounds' "Kadu Flyer"
... plus lots of backing vocals, and some other stuff with Hawkwind live
82-84 ('Zones', 'This Is Hawkwind Do Not Panic', 'Undisclosed Files', etc.)

Please correct me if any of this information is wrong!

>when did
>bob join the band as a singer? does he sing on xisos/sr/asam/hotmg/woteot?

Even though Bob was the main creative force (with Barney Bubbles & the
band) on the 'XiSoS' Hawklog, he doesn't sing on any of the UA studio
albums.  You should check the gig list (try
http://www.enteract.com/~weil/golden_void/gigs/) for the dates of Calvert's
(or anyone else's) first/last gigs with the band.  It's fascinating
reading, given HW's volatile membership and the number of musicians who
have been in and out and in and ...

>iii) why was nik sacked from the band and was dave's "new sound" he wanted
>for hw ever appear?

Allegedly, Paul Rudolph and Alan Powell threatened to quit during the
recording of the "Back On The Streets"/"Dream of Isis" single unless Nik
was removed.  Brock and Calvert then used this as an excuse to replace
Rudolph and Powell with Adrian Shaw (after the single, but before 'QS&C').
It seems rather convoluted and confusing to me, leaving numerous unanswered
questions, but isn't that always the way HW presonnel changes work out?

also, on Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:10:49 -0500, Keith Henderson
<henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:

>Bernhard says...
>
>>>Well, this contradicts the "official" gig list, but I read somewhere (I
>>>think it may have been the first Record Collector article on Hawkwind
>>>from 1985) that the Hawkwind performance from Glastonbury was not used
>>>because Dave Brock isn't on it! [...rest of Doug's old post snipped ...]
>
>>I didn't read about it. But fact is that Dave couldn't play the
>>Glastonbury gig on 23.06.1971 because he was ill. The lineup was:
>>CB/OL/TU/DE/CA

Yes, this is what the "official" list says, I was looking at the
Glastonbury '72 date when I said that it contradicted the list; my mistake.

>If that means CrimBle/OLlis/TUrner/DEttmar/CAlvert, then Crimble must've
>played both bass & guitar simultaneously.  :)  Perhaps Dave Anderson was
>there as well???

That would make sense, since he's listed as bassist in all the gigs
immediately before and after the Fayre, but I've also heard that the reason
he was fired from the band was because he was too much into making money
and not enough into playing free festivals.

>P.S.  I didn't realise Calvert performed with HW this early.  When was his
>first on-stage performance?

Check the gig list! :^) (URL above)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com