HW: Bob sings, Nik sings (was: Your captain is dead, part 2)

Wed Feb 11 05:39:29 EST 1998

On Wednesday, February 11, 1998 10:31 AM, LN1GJT
[SMTP:Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM] wrote:

> Nik re-surfaced at the Christmas 1981 gig at the Rainbow Theatre, London.
> Quite
> a superb gig, with Calvert and Moorcock guesting too! Before HW's set Bob
> and
> Nik did a rather version of Masters of the Universe, with just a
> Stylophone
> (remember those awfull things that Rolf Harris used to advertise!) and
> sax. I
> didn't really sound too good on the tape that I heard of the gig!
> (Allegedly,
> there are cassette copies of this gig still floating around amongst the
> tape-swappers - shouldn't be too hard to track down a copy!) Apparantly,
> Calvert and Moorcock had a punch-up after the gig. (Probably due to
> musical
> differences, and (of course) nothing to do with the fact that one of
> their
> wives ditched one for the other, or so the rumours go -
allegedly(again)!)

I can't remember, was it a stylophone, or was it Bob's little Wasp synth
(which he used to use quite often)?

Jill Riches, MM's second wife, did marry Bob in the early 80's, which seems
like a fair excuse for fisticuffs to me :)

Something the other day reminded me of how Bob really hated John Cooper
Clarke - probably something to do with Murray Lachlan Young, whom I suspect
Bob would have hated too - and how he did an absolutely wicked JCC
impression which consisted of wearing a wig and reciting a poem in Clarke's
style, which was actually better than any of Clarke's own poems...

-Andy

ObCD: _The Stooges_