business hawkwind (was chrome tour - or so...)

stalker kg at THING.DE
Sun Feb 15 21:05:02 EST 1998

I read those deformed Chrome tour dates postings - and I (finally)
decided to throw some words into the discussion on various subjects
raised in this thread.

the bleeding business trip...
there is absolutely NO excuse for putting out an album like The Business
Trip - (Live album) --
apart from being just a rotten album musically they are RIPPING OFF a
(read: some) former band member(s) - i.e. Mr. Robert Calvert / N. Turner
- in an absolutely despicable manner. even if the band itself didn't
notice the false / deliberately changed credits in the first place (like
changing "Welcome to the Future" into "This Future" etc.) - the LEAST
they MUST have done was to forbid the distribution of this record until
the credits have been corrected.
but...who REALLY believes that these false credits were an accident...
there were just too many of them - and too well organized. (be sure that
no one of the Calvert family EVER saw a penny of the royalties)
apart from that - changing a brilliant song like the original "Quark,
Strangeness and Charm" - a true gem of POP music (yes) into such a
SHITTY tune like the live version on the Business Trip live album -
well, this is just a very sad statement of your musical burn-out.

I am not writing this because I am a born again Calvertian - but its
just an obvious fact that the band never again had
a single innovative moment since Calvert left the band - i.e. after the
Hawklords album. They surely were the precursors of punk and new wave -
what more to ask of a single band. they got to have there place in
musical history for everyone with on open ear.
but I guess its about time people realize that its not the achievement
of dave brock alone. hawkwind had its great moments ONLY when it was a
BAND. either with Calvert or Turner or House or Lemmy etc. - there were
more than enough great moments for one band alone. there are not many
bands which achieved that. that's a fact.

but why on earth do so many people demand that the band is getting back
to "their roots" - or however you'd like to call it - sounding like
they've sounded some twenty or more years ago. thats the worst you could
ask from ANY (true) artist. its an insult.
if you think they're not as good as they're ought to be - why bother
buying their records - or even talk / write about it? they are musicians
and they're ought and MUST develop.

so - I don't know which group on earth should have the "right" to call
themselves hakwind if not the line-up lead by dave brock- like if or
leave it - counting all the years he was the main musical force - in
good AND bad terms.
so why bother? truly good music has nothing to do with nostalgia.
so its time to forget about a shitty re-born space-ritual. it cannot be
re-produced.
every hawkwind record after '78 is just a musical encore.
every encore is a generous present. nothing more.
so there.
k.