WAYYYYYY Off: Car CD changers

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Mon Feb 16 08:50:20 EST 1998

Yo' RC!!

You didn't say what type of head-end unit that you have in the dashboard
(like, does it have the capability to control a CD changer or if it is a
stock Ford unit, etc.) so it is tough to answer the question. My advice
would be this, go to www.crutchfield.com and check out their site. I have
used the fine folks at Crutchfield  for 20+ years and they are tops as far
as reasonable car stereo is concerned (in other words, if you want tons of
amps and a cannon squad of subwoofers, they can sell 'em to ya, but they
seem to be more in tune with the folk that want to do it themselves and are
not into competition sound installations). They have a function on their
page that will match their equipment to your ride, so when you get it, you
KNOW it will work.

Now, for my humble opinion, if you have a good stock head-end unit (w/o
changer controls) but you want to have a CD changer AND more power AND not
have to sacrifice an FM channel AND still keep the head-end that you have,
look at the combo CD changer / power amp that JVC (and Crutchfield) sells.
Either a ten or twelve CD unit with a modest (14Wpc x 4) amp that connects
between your current head-end and speakers. Benefits are that the
installation is stealthy, the amp adds power for your existing set-up and
the CD doesn't have to go through an FM modulator. Price may be at the
top-end of your range, but look at what you are getting (the amp).

Otherwise, if you have an after-market head-end, get a unit that can be
controlled by your head-end (the Crutchfield page can help here). My
personal preferences are (in order) Clarion (damn-near bullet-proof and high
quality everything!), Kenwood (good stuff), Pioneer (good value), Sony (O.K.
but in my experience, quality control has slipped badly in the past few
years). I can't comment on Blaupunkt or Alpine, but Alpine seems to be good
stuff, but expensive and Blaupunkt seems to be quality gear at reasonable
prices, but without all the bells 'n whistles. I would not spend my money on
Audiovox, Urban Audio, Pyramid, Craig or any other low-end units (Ships'
Rule O' Thumb; If they can't even offer Dolby B on their top-end unit, they
ain't worth looking at, 'cuz the company is too cheap to get a Dolby license
and the rest of the gear must be cheap!)

Hope this helps!
Craig Shipley                        craigs at siemens-pyramid.com
Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems, Inc.
1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. NE                                Suite 400
Atlanta, Georgia 30342                              (404) 845-3404
Corporate Voice Mail                      (800) 333-5754 x-2023