Come to the Sabbat

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Wed Feb 18 11:37:14 EST 1998

Jean Lansford writes:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, herbert rosenberg wrote:
>
> >Which reminds me of a band called BLACK Widow, who I think recorded
> >in the '70s--they had this tune called "Come to the Sabbat"...and it
> >was...strange, cool, cheesy, folky. The chorus went "Come, come,
> >come to the Sabbat, come to the Sabbat, Satan's there..." Anyone else
> >ever hear that? Might be funny for the Surgeons to do, just as a joke...
> >Hell, I know I'd do that tune if I had a band...
>
> Steve Swann has a tape of "music videos" containing that song (along
> with some very interesting others).  Had to be one of the more
> memorable pieces on the tape.

I ran into the video dealer who constructed that compilation at Dragon
Con this past summer, and he couldn't even remember the name of the
band.  A little too much LSD back in the 70's, I suspect.  ;-)

It's a pretty cool compilation; it has home-made videos of "Spirit of
the Age" (using footage from Metropolis), "Steppenwolf" (using various
werewolf films, from Lon Chaney to The Howling), "Godzilla" (using
guess what), as well as a bunch of much cheesier or more whacked-out
garage punk and 70's synth-pop bands.  The footage is all from classic
(or forgotten) sci-fi, cult and monster movies, mixed with some
cheap-ass chroma key effects.  Yes, everything in it is totally
pirated, but don't get all worked up about it - it clearly took dozens
of hours of careful hand-editing, and the guy has probably sold all
of three copies of it - it was obviously a labor of love for him, not a
money-making bonanza.

Steve