OFF: Ozric Tentacles

Walrus walrus at THORAZINE.NEURON.NET
Fri Feb 20 22:05:13 EST 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Horse Whisperer wrote:

> >It's funny you should mention the tentacles.. someone once told me that
> OT
> >sounded a bit like HW ("the british hawkwind" were the exact words),
> Who said this?  Slap them!  Hawkwind ARE British!  Flip sake!

yes yes, we know, i guess they thought that OT and HW were the same or
something ;)

> >so i
> >decided to check them out (I got jurassic shift), only to discover
> they're
> >not much like HW at all (disappointingly).
>
> Stylistically, they're miles apart, but in terms of sheer spaciness,
> they're pretty 'Windy.  Jurassic Shift was the first OT LP I picked up,
> just after I heard Space Bandits (which was just after I'd got
> Levitation, which was just after I'd thought I'd died and gone to heaven
> after listening to Space Ritual), and my first thoughts were of a
> seventies-feel Hawkwind with nineties technology and techniques.
> But after that, I realized HW were just one of a big list of influences
> on OT.

i like the last song on JS, more guitar-y than the other tracks.. is there
an OT period where the songs are more guitar-y rather than synthy?

As far as I know the members of OT met at one of those Stonehenge
festivals that HW played at, back in the early 80s.. so I'm guessing that
HW was one of OTs influences.

wal

  _______          " The gentle madness                            Walrus
  _______\_           has touched my hand               walrus at neuron.net