tBS: Brownies

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Mon Feb 23 10:37:30 EST 1998

Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 writes:

> >> From:          Stephen Swann <swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU>
> >> Since I know you're all wondering, yes, the X-Brothers do indeed
> kick
> > some serious ass.  You all know the kind of songs Joe Bouchard wrote
> > for BOC, and that's what he's delivered with the X-Brothers.  Strong,
> > clear melodies, hard driving rythms, and heavy all over.  Maybe it's
> > not fair to draw comparisons, but the X-Brothers are less eclectic and
> > more straightforward in their presentation than the Brain Surgeons.
> > You probably won't (although I admit that I haven't yet given their CD
> > the close listen that it deserves) find the sort of inspired
> > quirkiness or dark, dense material that you're used to hearing from
> > the Surgeons, but you will find hard-edged, unadulterated rock-n-roll
> > that'll knock your socks off.  I recommend checking out their CD,
> > and I definitely recommend catching them live if you get the chance.
> >
> > Any questions?  ;-)
> >
> Yeah!  How's Joe on guitar?  Is he a serious lead player or did Billy
> handle all the lead work?

Joe's a very good guitar (and keyboard) player, and he does a lot of
what I guess you'd call melodic lead.  But my recollection (which
could be faulty or incomplete, since I had to bail partway through the
set), is that Billy handled the "blistering solo" parts.

Joe did all the lead vocals, btw; his voice is sounding really good
these days.

Steve