OFF: Flame wars and Rumors

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Feb 26 22:25:49 EST 1998

>Anyone notice how it's always me in the middle of these
>flame wars?  What the hell's in the water up here?
>>   ---------------------------------------------------------
>>
>theo

>gotta agree with that, and I don't think he got what we were putting
across...I know _I_ didn't diss either group....I also don't agree
with some of the points he made...HITNF might have been a bit dodgy
but I'd argue about "Promised Land" being a "stylistic rut"......
and also.....Gary Cherone a "operatic singer?".....hardly....
a very good vocalist, but a little more "rock" than opera.

>Ted

Two points here.

Theo you are always in the middle of these things BECAUSE you always
bash Rush, man.  8>) Its punative damges baby, there are just too many
Rush fans out there and they are connected in "high places".  Besides
better you than me.  I took it on the chin from the heavy hitters, the
"Great Coffee Flame Wars".  You're to young (BOC-L wise) to rememeber
that one, many innocents were lost in that campaign.

Second point relates to Q'ryche.  They may not be everbody's cup of tea
yet I am hard pressed to name a more misunderstood group. HITNF is not
"a bit dodgy" (IMHO of course) its just different from its previous
recordings.  Does Promise Land sound anything like Empire (One More Time
Around notwithstanding)?  Does Empire sound much like Mindcrime?  Nope.
why do people think a band has to stick with a basic formula forever?

Want to hear a really far out rumor?  OK.  Bud of mine on the west coast
tells me the buzz is that the replacement for DiGarmo is none other than
BUCK!  I almost fell out of my chair.  This bud is young and in to
modern players.  Asked me "Isn't that guitarist for that geezer band you
like ... Blue Fish something named Buck?  I hear Tate wants him to play
with them.  Sucks man why do they need an old fart like that." {Forgive
my young friend, like a some, certainly not all, 20 somethings he has no
respect for the metal movement of the 70's}  I don't really buy this but
I could see Mr. Dharma fit snuggly into this group.  Hell if I were Buck
and they offered the money I'd do it.

L8er
Ghost In The Ruins

OB Pimp Slap - Fark Theo, I forgot to write down the players on the Hoey
Live again.  I promise to have it 2/27.