Still Rolling Stones

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Jan 2 10:41:10 EST 1998

>Coulda fooled me.  Love the way these guys make personal attacks and
>then say:  don't take it personal, i.e. don't say anything mean about
>me now that I've attacked you!
>theo

Yeah but we have been here long enough to know that when you frag
someones band they tend to get a little agitated.  Its no biggie in my
mind.  Again no one can argue that the Stones aren't a very sucessful
band, but like all music it comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Theo>Seems like a lot of people bought a lot of New Kids on the Block,
Vanilla Ice and Spice Girls records over the ages too!  Financial
success is hardly the measure of any band's work.

This is very true today.  I don't thinks band were hyped as much in the
70's 80's, that was radio's job.  But while I agree with this sentiment
for new bands I don't think its true for the older bands.  The Stones
earning $90 million on a tour goes directly to a legitimate fan base
that has remained loyal for decades.  Stones play, fans pay.  Thats true
for Kiss on their reunion tour last year which was the biggest.  Maybe
this shows that once a band has a following that following is pretty
much consistent as long as the band continues to play.  Check it on any
scale.  We jump at chances to see BOC even though there has been no new
music for years.  Kiss tour was the same, no original material for years
but lots of tickets sold.  Spice Girls may be the new Hootie, hyped for
one or two big efforts but at the first sign of dwindling sales, tossed
on the has been heap by their own label.  Tough business.

Neil>"Now if BOC were up there with big stage sets, we'd all be happy,
right ? :)"

I'd be happy for the band but selfishly I love seeing them in smaller
venues.  Better opportunity to meet them after the gig and I think (just
my HO) they play harder when they can smell the audience's breath.

> OBCD - Sea Level, Best of...

Theo>Hey AB, is this one of the new Capricorn reissues?  They're putting
out all the early Allmans stuff remastered, as well as SL!

I'll check but its not new.  I got this about two years ago.  Was
looking to find their first two albums on CD (I got vinyl) and it was
all I saw in the slot.  Jumped at a chance to get this one.  Its really
good stuff.

>9.  What BOC-L person is named after a character from a movie featured
        on Mystery Science Theater 3000?

I can answer this one, Rob Sedler (aka Torgo).  However as comic fans
know this is the name of a robot encountered by the Fantastic Four's Ben
Grimm, both had been kidnapped by Skrulls and forced to battle each
other in a gladiator pit.  Great line "I am Torgo, first among equals."

Happy New year all.

lil' ab