HW: Where is www.hawkwind.com??

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Jan 6 17:44:12 EST 1998

Regarding the recent messages reporting not being able to get through to
the official Hawkwind WWW site, www.hawkwind.com, I just did a
dig/nslookup on the hostname and found that it no longer exists; even
its primary nameservers don't know it!

Doing a "whois hawkwind.com" yields the following:

-----------------------
The Emergency Broadcast System Limited (HAWKWIND-DOM)
   PO Box 6131
   London, W3 8ZR
   UK

   Domain Name: HAWKWIND.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Churchett, Dale  (DC1728)  daleweb at IO.COM
      (512) 342 1678
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Campbell, Craige  (CC435)  cgc at BHCOM.COM
      760 360-4600 (FAX) 760 360-3437
   Billing Contact:
      Douglas D. Smith  (DDS4-ORG)  actonium at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
      0181 993-8436
Fax- 0181 896 1778

   Record last updated on 25-Apr-97.
   Record created on 03-May-96.
   Database last updated on 6-Jan-98 05:29:27 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.VIRTSERV.COM             192.41.1.23
   NS2.PERMA.NET                192.41.2.23

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.
-----------------------

Note that the billing contact is none other than our old friend Doug
Smith himself!  Maybe Doug doesn't realise that InterNIC require
$100/year to maintain a domain registration?  (Or, more likely, maybe
the Hawks are phasing out the stateside WWW presence in favour of their
own home-grown effort?)

Oh, btw, at least now the R.O.D.S. E-mailbomber has a target address... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obBLANGA!!!!!: Hawkwind, "It's So Easy", _The 1999 Party_

e-mail: paul at gromit.cs.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix