OFF: Starship Troopers

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Jan 8 09:05:24 EST 1998

There in lies the rub.  How many great books have been sucessfully
translated into movies?  I'm hard pressed to think of many.  The rule
seems to be take a great book, keep the title and some of the characters
names, but otherwise make it unrecognizable.  Without the benefit of
reading the book I thought the movie was fine for what it was, action/fx
offering from Hollywood.  The subtler points of the movie
citzens/military service, love triangles suffered, due to Hollywood's
standard formula of sensory overload / simple plot + big box office
bucks.

Good points - the babes were babes (no offense ladies of the list)
the body count was high
communications in the future were hilarious
Aliens were neat

Low Points - Characters were underdevloped
Military strategist were idiots (if ya got nukes why not take out the
entire planet instead of sending soldiers with small pop guns)
Michael Ironside and Clancy Brown did not get enough screen time
the body count was high.

I didn't think it any more violent than say Alien Ressurection.

lil' ab

"60 seconds to Midnight...60 seconds to nowhere baby.
You have all become victims of the Evil Midnight Bomber what bombs...hey
pay attention."  EMB