OFF: Lyrical SF

Allan T Grohe Jr Allan.T.Grohe.Jr at MAIL.SPRINT.COM
Fri Jan 9 09:06:48 EST 1998

I think Bill Mumy (of B5/Lost in Space fame) did Startrekking.  I know
he did Fisheads, and a bunch of other comedic song classics (not that I
can recall any of the names now...)

Allan.
--------

----------
From:  D.K.Hardman
Sent:  Friday, January 09, 1998 5:29 AM
To:  BOC-L
Cc:  D.K.Hardman
Subject:  Re: OFF: Lyrical SF

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Jon Browne wrote:

> question..David Bowie's Diamond Dogs, if not Space Oddity, Spiders
from
> Mars, Ashes To Ashes etc. early Devo...anyone ever into Bill Nelson's
> Red Noise? "Build a Better Home In The Phantom Zone" or "Substitute
> Flesh" How about early Cabaret Voltaire, would that count as SF? or
> Punilux? Rezillo's Destination Venus? Flying Saucer Attack? (the song
> not the band) God, there were loads of Futurist bands at the end of
the
> '70's, weren't there? Why can't I remember them now? ah, how about
Alien
> Sex Fiend - "Ride My Rocket (Up Uranus, Baby)" Even The Stranglers had
> their Sci-Fi moments with stuff like "Rise Of The Robots".

Not forgetting those poptastic classics such as "The Monster Mash" and
"Startrekkin'" (Altogether: There's Klingons on the starboard bow,
starboard bow, starboard bow......). Can't remember who was responsible
for these tho'.  Also slipping into my mind is "Doctorin the Tardis"
(The
Timelords?), tho I don't think that had lyrics.

Slipping into my Alan Partridge mode, I recall that Wings had a song
called "Magneto and Titanium Man", apparently based on some SF comic
book.

Anyway, enough deep unfashionability....I'm sure these aren't the kind
of
songs Jill had in mind! :)

Dave
"I'm the urban spaceman baby
 I got speed
 I've got everything you need"

******

David Hardman                           "When your back's against the
HCI Design Centre                        wall, you've got to turn round
School of Informatics                    and march forward!"
City University
Northampton Square                       John Major, ex-Prime Minister
London EC1V 0HB

Phone: +44 0171 477 8152
Fax:   +44 0171 477 8859
E-mail: D.K.Hardman at city.ac.uk