OFF: Starship Troopers and a connection to the Tick

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Jan 9 10:58:13 EST 1998

>Indeed.  Two different mediums.  How do you treat character development
>in a movie when the general consensus is that most people won't watch a
>movie greater than 2 hours.  This school of thought being the movie
>industry and not my own.  Further I agree it can be done, citing
>specifically some of the examples you list most notably Dune.  Thats a
>difficult project and probably undoable if you stayed true to the book.

nods.  That was a project the movie industry convinced itself was horrible
before anyone saw it, it was a bandwagon kind of thing that railroaded it.
It wasn't perfect, but Frank Herbert himself said he liked it (and Herbert
had tried to write a screenplay for it and failed miserably)....

>Overall I think the intent was there and the results were not bad.  Yet
>it seems for every Dune or Blade Runner you have a movie like The
>Shining.  One of King's best books but a deplorable  movie.  Please
>don't harp in on the job done by Nicholson, I'm totally inflexible on
>this. The movie version sucked period. 8>)

I generally can't stand King movies, the only one worth a salt was
The Dead Zone, and like first ten minutes of "The Stand", for purely
biased reasons <g>... (there, see, I brought this back marginally
on-topic....

lessee, anyone got nominations for best use of a non-original (i.e.,
not written for the movie) song in a movie?

Andrew A. Apold (mordru at magg.net), aka  |
Roger Shrubstaff,                       |
Duchy of Silverwater (BL), Amtgard      |
aka Asgrim Dragon -=UDIC=-              |
 "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random