Review: The BRAIN SURGEONS, _Malpractice_

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Jan 10 23:18:28 EST 1998

     If there were more bands like the Brain Surgeons--and  more albums
like _Malpractice_--the world would be a better and happier place.

     Formed in 1994 by Albert Bouchard (ex-Blue Oyster Cult) and Deb Frost
(noted rock critic), Brain Surgeons debut album, _Eponymous_, was a
mind-rippling sonic attack, featuring Mr. Bouchard's formidable
instrumental and compositional talents, aided and abetted by a host of
virtuoso associates, including former BOC-songwriter Richard Meltzer.

     But mistake the Brain Surgeons for the latter-day efforts of dried-up
hasbeens at your *peril*.  Nothing about this band is reduced, reused, or
recycled.  Raw, unbridled, and fiercely *intelligent* rock is the name of
the Brain Surgeons' game.  The principle suspects from the initial Brain
Surgeons release quickly assembled an ace touring band and followed up
with _Trepanation_ in 1995, and _Box of Hammers_ in 1996.

     _Malpractice_ (1997) is both an atypical Brain Surgeons release and,
in some ways, an ideal introduction to the band.  Technically, it is a
compilation CD, bringing together a number of rare, "fan-club only" tracks
and several previously unreleased specials.  _Malpratice_ is unusual in
that it features a large number of cover tunes, both of earlier Brain
Surgeons originals, Blue Oyster Cult classics, and others--each with their
own, special twist!  That many of the tracks were previously cassette-only
makes _Malpractice_ a worthy release in itself--and the flawless execution
makes owning the whole package inutterbly worthwhile, whether one already
has the analog versions or not!

     Things get off to a flying start with a cover of Hawkwind's "Needle
Gun".  This may seem a strange choice for a cover tune (and an
album-starting one at that) until one understands that both Al Bouchard
and his wife Deborah Frost have been subscribers to the combination Blue
Oyster Cult/Hawkwind email list for a number of years--the association was
bound to show in time.  Fellow subscriber Robert "Rudy" Rudich suggested
several Hawkwind cover tunes to the ex-BOC drummer Al, and, though Rudy
sadly passed away last summer, his memory is immortalized here.
Appropriately, "Needle Gun" is a mass of ripping, crunching guitars and,
strangely or not, suits the Brain Surgeon's idiosyncratic style to a T.

     Quite frankly, the Brain Surgeons deserve tremendous kudos for not
only taking the time to communicate with their fans, but to give them
*exactly* what they want.  Plenty of well-known rock stars would do well
to take a lesson here.  _Malpractice_ not only collects rare tracks in a
convienient and quality digital format, but presents a variety of clever
and hard-rocking songs.  That's a rare combination to begin with, but if
any band can deliver it, the Brain Surgeons can.  And how.

     Unquestionably, one of the highlights of _Malpractice_ is "Ciuidades
Y Navidades", which the alert will notice sounds suspiciously like the
Blue Oyster Cult classic, "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll".  Well ...
it is.  Except with Christmas-themed lyrics in Spanish.  You have been
warned!  Needless to say: it rocks.  Another thunderous Hawkwind cover
follows: "Hassan I Sabha".  This mock-Arabic-flavored rocker might almost
have been written for the Brain Surgeons, given its acerbic wit and
bombastic delivery.

     There's no letting down the side here.  A cover of BOC's "Career of
Evil" (co-written by the great Patti Smith) follows, distinguished by Deb
Frost's eerie and disturbing vocals: "... I'd like to do it to your
daughter on a dirt road". This is followed by an "unplugged" tune, a cover
of "Language of Love" from the Brain Surgeons' _Eponymous_ album. Then
comes a special treat: an acoustic re-recording of "The Girl that Love
Made Blind", an song which "got away" from the critically acclaimed
_Imaginos_ album, credited to BOC, but largely created by the good Mr.
Bouchard.  And then the oft-requested, but seldom heard, BOC song, "Death
Valley Nights".  If you are very lucky, you'll catch the Surgeons live and
see this performed (with Al on vocals and guitar, while Deb tackles the
drums!). Still on the acoustic kick, the Brain Surgeons' own "Name Your
Monster" (also from the _Eponymous_ album) follows.

     Perhaps in some ways my personal favorite on _Malpractice_ is the
cover of  "Baby Ice Dog".  Originally on Blue Oyster Cult's _Tyranny and
Mutation_ album, this song never made a big impression on me until I heard
the Brain Surgeon's version.  My *God*!  This track reaches down, grabs
both brain lobes, and devours them messily with a manical laugh.  Deb's
screaming vocals twine with sanity-shredding guitars and ... well, "They
like to make it with my big, black dog!"  Phooowaaar ...

     On the home stretch, we encounter a cover of fIREHOSE's _Tour Spiel_
(Mike Watt returned the favor by covering Al's BOC classic, "Dominance &
Submission" on a special CDEP).  Then an acoustic version of "I Am the One
You Warned Me Of" from _Imaginos_.  By the way, the original electric
version is worth hunting down--severalr big rock names (think, for
example, "J. Hetfield") picked _Imaginos_ as a top album in '88.  You can
take it from there.  The trip closes with a fragile, intense, rendition of
BOC's "Astronomy", a song which has passed through several variations in
its history, and just gets better, and better, and better.

     If you're not ready to buy this disc, I can only conclude you've been
injecting novocaine into your cerebellum for the past few years ...
_Malpractice_ is an album which shows a band doing something which too may
musicians seem to have forgotten about: having fun.  And doing it with
*style*.  And delivering the goods to their fans.  There's something for
everyone--serious and silly, soft and hard, sublime and ... and grievously
screwed up ...

     But why take my word for it?  Beg, borrow, steal this disc--and then
buy your own.  And then break down an realize you need another
apppointment with the Brain Surgeons.

WWW: http://www.NovPapyrus.com/bs/  (news, reviews, gigs, and CDs!)

Cheers,
Carl