HW-ish synth track on VARIOUS ARTISTS / TRUTH OR DARE

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Sun Jan 11 10:45:33 EST 1998

Allan,

The disk is titled TRUTH OR DARE and it is CUE 1129 on the CUE (now GROOVE)
label. Disk costs about US$16.95 from Windspell, a mail-order service run by
Michael Garrison, the US synthesist, which specializes in (surprise!)
electronic music. Artists on this disk are Kees Aerts, Air Sculpture, Ian
Boddy, James J. Clent, John Dyson, Jean Paul van Engelen, Norman Fay, Harald
Van Der Heijden, Detlef Keller, Robert Marselie, Johannes Munz, Ron Boots,
Mario Schonwalder, Syndromeda and Rene de Vrena. All of these folks are
fairly unknown outside of the European synth circle, but don't be put off by
the lack of the "big lights" names; these guys kick ass. None of the tracks
are solo efforts, they are all duos, except for a track by four artists and
two with and artist and a band. The other two disks are THE TRUTH IS TWISTED
(CUE 1124) and OUT THERE LIES THE TRUTH (CUE 1117). There is a Web page
listed, which I haven't checked out yet, as I have the older CUE/GROOVE one
bookmarked, but you can check out www.cue-records.de if you want.

This ain't happy music, although the third CD is touted as being more
up-beat (still sounds pretty dark and ominous to me!!) Vocal snippets from
the TV show (I guess, I watch damn-near zero TV, except for Dexters' Lab
with the kids) crop up from time to time, and help to enhance the music.
Most of the tracks are in excess of 6-7 minutes and range from energetic
(The Fugitive, by Boots and Dyson) to tribal-rhythmic (The Borders of
Believe, by Marselie and van Engelen) to dark atmospheric (Crossing The
Road, by Aerts & Air Sculpture). If you like what you read here, check these
CD's out, I don't think you will be disappointed!

(CUE also has another V.A. CD series called THE MARS PROJECT, which is in
commemoration of the 1976 Viking landings on Mars. Solo efforts on those two
CD's, but they turned me on to some great European artists and reacquainted
me with some older favorites. Another high recommendation, available from
the same source).

NP: Erik Norlander / Threshold (the Keith Emerson of the '90's! Acres of
vintage synths and a '70's sound brought into the '90's. Trio format, like
ELP, but no vocals. Prog lives!!!)
Craig Shipley                        craigs at siemens-pyramid.com
Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems, Inc.
1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. NE                                Suite 400
Atlanta, Georgia 30342                              (404) 845-3404
Corporate Voice Mail                      (800) 333-5754 x-2023