Off: Comic Books

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jan 13 09:25:15 EST 1998

Jon Browne writes:

> >> Strangers In Paradise is an excellant soap title which brings women
> >> into comic shops (a novelty).  Many of our regulars have finally
> >> turned wives and girlfriends onto comics with this title.  Not that
> >> it's aimed at women, it just happens to appeal to both genders for
> >> a change.

> >SEXES! For Christ's sake humans have sex, not "gender".

> >Why be politically correct when you can be right? [(C) Geoff Miller]

> >FoFP

> Is gender incorrect? Forgive my imprecise language

It's less a language nitpick than a political bete noir for me. Gender
is something that applies to words, whereas humans and animals are
divided into sexes. There are those with a political agenda who attempt
to pretend that there are more sexes than two, or who wish to pretend
that females can somehow be males and vice versa rather than simply have
attributes usually associated with the opposite sex. There's been an
attempt to replace the word "sex" with "gender" partly in promotion of
this agenda in the PC movement to alter reality by altering the map and,
I suspect, because the sensitive little bunnyhuggers are a bit skittish
about actually using the word "sex". Most likely because it conjures up
Dworkinish Demons from Planet Patriarchy.

Best not appear to be a fellow traveller, who knows when the hearings
will begin.

> and while we're on
> the subject, <ahem> Sex SEX Sex SEXES Sexual RUDE SEX TOP GEAR NOB JOB
> FISH MITTEN! And if I'm not mistaken - tits! Hope that clear's things
> up.

Fuck 'em all.

> all the best -- Jon

Mike "Unreconstructed male" Holmes