Off: Censorship

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Wed Jan 14 06:53:00 EST 1998

On 14 Jan 11:35, M Holmes wrote:
> That may be so, but in the normal world of language that's not what the
> word "gender" means.

Well, language changes.  AFAIK, "Gender dysphoria" is now the standard
medical term for transexualism and related conditions.

> and is thankfully rare in the UK. Unfortunately political correctness
> isn't. [...]
> there's the Zero Tolerance campaign here (nowt to do with drugs
> and more to do with insulting men with their own tax dollars).

I knew someone who was involved in the Edinburgh "Z" campaign.
It certainly wasn't conceived of as a PC project, and apparently
did succeed in changing the lives of some women for the better.

Interestingly enough, when the campaign was repeated in London,
the Edinburgh group criticised the new campaign for attacking men,
which they were careful not to do (they criticised "male abuse
of power", which they saw as different from criticising men).
I can't remember the details of their criticisms -- it was in
an issue of a local magazine called "Harpies And Quines" from
around that time.

> > > Mike "Unreconstructed male" Holmes
> >
> > Isn't that a PC term for a much ruder word?
>
> Is it? What's that?

I always thought that when people said "Unreconstructed male", they
were ironically using a PC-sounded phrase to describe someone who
they thought of as a tosser.  I may be wrong though.  (And to be on
the safe side, I want to make it clear that I'm not calling Mike a
tosser).

Dave.

--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.