OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic

Ola Nyberg ola.nyberg at SYSTEM3R.SE
Wed Jan 14 12:29:43 EST 1998

On 14 Jan 12:12, Ola Nyberg wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> <Still, at least the current lot are incorporating the European Bill Of
> <Rights, setting up a Scottish Parliament, introducing some sort of
> <Freedom Of Information bill, and getting rid of hereditary peers.

<Ola: Hereditary peers? Please explain.

<Dave:
<A "peer" in this context is a member of the House Of Lords, the second
<chamber of the British parliament.  People either become lords by
<appointment by a government (they then remain lords for life), or by
<right of birth (the latter being the remnants of the aristocracy).
<The current government is planning to remove the right of the
<aristocracy to sit in the house of lords.  (There are some other
<members of the House of Lords by virtue of holding certain offices,
<e.g. some bishops, but I think these are fairly small in number).
<
<The House Of Lords has much less power than the House Of Commons,
<but can review details of proposed legislation, and on rare occasions
<they can delay non-financial legislation considerably (which can
<sometimes be a good thing).

Thanks for the explanation! I didn't think people were appointed to the
House of Lords by right of birth. It does sound like a remnant from the
aristocracy... not a part of a modern democracy! But then you still have
the royal family. What are your views on that? Are you a royalist?

We have a royal family in Sweden too, but they have no political power
whatsoever. Of course, they can influence the opinion of the general
public, but they are supposed to be apolitical. In fact I don't think
they even have the right to vote. Anyway, I think they do a great job
promoting Sweden. I don't mind if they have a castle or two...

Ola