tBS reveiw,an Opinion

Fri Jan 16 07:04:27 EST 1998

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
> >I don't want to sound overly critical of
> the Oysterboys but a lot of the "stale setlist" can be traced to their
> inability to do certain vocals.  The music isn't the problem, its the
> vocals.  Sure some of Albert songs have been adapted by Eric over the
> years and he does a decent job on them but certain songs really require
> the right vocals.
>
> I agree with that up to a point.  However, there are plenty of songs in
> the catalog originally sung by Buck or Eric that could be worked into the
> setlists.  I think the real problem with stale setlists with BOC has
> little to do with not having the Bouchard Brothers around to sing them
> anymore.
>
> John

I think the stale setlist is due to the ad hoc nature of the band's
career.  I don't think they have a lot of lead time for gigs.  Also,
to work up new songs takes rehearsal.  Renting a loft, traveling to
get there etc.  BOC's been doing this for so long, it probably isn't
a big picnic to rehearse when you've already got a strong set of
stuff nailed down.    Let
s face it, these guys are older now, with families etc.  Probably
don't want to spend their spare time playing more music.  Trouble is,
that's what professional musicians are supposed to do--that's their
job!

'Also, I think they figure that most people come to see them out of
curiosity, as a novelty act maybe, so perhaps the band doesn't think
they get a lot of repeat business, aside from all us, so that nobody
will know the setlist is stale?  You'd think they'd know better, but
given the way the group's been mismanaged the last 10 years,
anything's possible...

theo

"I told you not to be stupid..."
--Ben S.