Off: OED

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Jan 20 14:29:01 EST 1998

On tis 20 jan 1998 08.37 -0500 "Jeff Berry" <nexus at PANIX.COM> wrote:
> Wow, you mean everyone doesn't own an OED?  Next you'll tell me
> that you don't have a Facsimile Folio of Shakespeare!

     Though in my line of work, an OED2 CD-ROM is probably the most useful
CD-ROM I could buy :)

> On a serious note - the OED on CD-ROM is way more expensive than just
> buying the damn thing on paper.  We've found some used OED's for under
> $100 American.  Not much under, sure, but under.

     That's pretty good, considering the proper paper version lists at USD
3000 (!) and the compact version for USD 350!  The CD-ROM lists at USD
395.

     Mind you, a CD-ROM is a hell of a lot easier to store than the the
hardcopy, and a bit more flexible in terms of use.  Though for a hundred
bucks, it'd be tempting to get the compact version--definitely the CD-ROM
..

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic