HW: Ariel Bender

Ola Nyberg ola.nyberg at SYSTEM3R.SE
Fri Jan 23 03:27:22 EST 1998

Thanks Steven,

This story sounds pretty unbelievable... It comforts me that Hunter
didn't associate to Shakespeare either (I'm not the only one). All of a
sudden, *Ariel* sounds a lot less cool, again...
*Antenna Snapper* would have been pretty cool!

Ola

 ----------
From:  davmor at DELTANET.COM
Sent:   den 22 januari 1998 17:28
To:  BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject:  Re: HW: Ariel Bender

<<File: STEVENDAVIES-MORRIS.VCF>><<File: ENVELOPE.TXT>>
Actually the name *Ariel Bender* came about in a much less interesting
or amusing manner.  Luther Grosvernor had joined Mott the Hoople as
the replacment for Mick Ralphs, and the band was in Germany beginning
a European tour before returning to the studio to record *The Hoople*.
Ian Hunter had suggested to LG that he needed a *cooler* name (since
he was now playing guitar for a band that was periferaly glam, etc.)
so they were trying to come up with one.  They'd not found one that
anyone in the band liked so Hunter and Grosvenor went for a walk;
they passed an auto wrecking yard where two guys were bending the
ariels (radio antennas) of the cars, snapping them off.  Hunter looked
at Grosvenor -- said *Ariel Bender* -- and the rest is history.  The
source of this an interview with Hunter (originally conducted in MM)
that is reprinted in one of the IH/MTH bio-books in my brother's
collection.  Remember: truth is stranger than fiction!

Regards
Steven Davies-Morris davmor at deltanet.com