OFF: Fw: weird facts

Mon Jan 26 03:31:00 EST 1998

On Monday, January 26, 1998 5:14 AM, DAMON CAPEHART
[SMTP:monsieur at MYMAIL.NET] wrote:
> To the Brits in the audience tonight...
> Is the following REALLY true, and - if so - what exactly is the
> justification behind it?  Apologies for being so OFF, but
> curiousity has gotten to me once again.
>
> > In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
>
> It just seems like a bit of a double-take to us Americans.
>
> Thanks,
> Damon

In a sense, your "weird fact" is true, but on its own doesn't give the real
picture!

The Speaker is an elected member of Parliament who is chosen by the whole
House of Commons to chair the debates - at which the admirable Betty
Boothroyd does a splendid job.  She has to say "order, order" an awful lot,
though.  But, no, she can't actually join in the debates, although no doubt
she still acts as a constituency MP, and plays an important role in the
governance of Britain.

-Andy

ObCD: Natacha Atlas - _Halim_