Starship (was Re: BRAIN, covers - now also HW/Ron)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Jan 26 14:52:17 EST 1998

Jon Browne <jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

>In article <199801260928.JAA16661 at achemar.gatwick.Geco-Prakla.slb.com>,
>Neil Shilladay <shillada at GATWICK.GECO-PRAKLA.SLB.COM> writes
>>>MC5 - American Ruse (while we're at it - HW to cover MC5's 'Starship')
>>
>>Have you heard Spacemen 3's version of this?
>
>>Which song have Spaceman 3 covered - American Ruse or Starship ?
>>
>>I still think HW should cover Starship, and I know Ron's a big
>>Iggy/Stooges/MC5
>>fan. Apparently 'Search & Destroy' used to be a regular set closer for
>>Bastard (Ron's old band).
>
>Starship. It's on the "Perfect Perscription"album.
>and *i* think HW should cover it too!

In fact, Ron already *has* covered "Starship"! (or was this already
mentioned, and I just missed it?)  It appears on one of the 'Capt. Jesus
and the Sunray Dream' LP's ('All Thanks To Lord Jesus Christ Amen' is, I
think, the album title).  Great version, and I'd be hard-pressed to say
which of the three is my favorite.  Of course, they're *all* covers, since
the original was a space-jazz chant by Sun Ra, given a rock workout by the
MC5 (they did the same with Pharoh Sanders' "Upper and Lower Egypt").  Both
Capt. Jesus albums are great kick-ass psychedelic punk recordings, and
highly recommended (worth the $20-some I had to spend on each).  Plus, as a
hardkore vinyl kollektor, I love the fact that they come in hand-screened
sleeves with blank labels - very "Private Press" looking.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com