(A little) OFF: My 'State of the Art'

Tue Jan 27 15:13:12 EST 1998

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> Now Theo, I thought you knew better...
>
> The arguments about "no new material" hold little water in my book.
> BOC has had an album's worth of material for years now.  Half the
> songs on the new album were played in concert between '92 and '95.
> Hey, I'm a huge fan, and I'll devour the new release when it's here,
> but I won't sit here and say I think it's o.k. that it took BOC so
> many years to get this deal done.  The band's popularity has
> dwindled, and their inactivity album-wise is only hurting them.  I

This is all true.  But really, what do BOC have to gain by a new
album?  Do any of us think that the new album will propel them to
playing bigger gigs?  And, I'd suggest that the same arguments I put
forth would have held true five years ago.  I think, regretably, that
the damage had already been done.  The time for a new record would
have been right after CN or Imaginos.  And whether 5 years ago or
now, isn't BD still the songwriting source for the band?

> agree that they have to be careful what kind of deal they make with
> a record company, but after so long in taking to get it out, I
> believe this is going to be an album for the long-time hardcore
> fans only, and that it is highly unlikely that this album will
> sell millions -- and it stood a better chance of doing so 5 years

That's a safe bet, so wouldn't the band be thinking: why now?  I
think this CMC deal is probably the best thing to happen to them.  Is
it possible that nobody would touch them til now?  I don't have an
answer, but there must be some reason they waited so long?

> ago than it does today.  But, they may not have Al and Joe for
> material anymore, but I don't buy the notion that they haven't
> had enough material for an album until this year - not by a lon
> (oops LONG) shot.
>
> John

Fer sure they had the material, what 2 years ago or more.  I still
think that without a solid backing c.f. CMC, the band stood to loose
money on a new record, and that's why we haven't seen one...