HW: Man at the 1999 Party

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Jan 29 14:50:06 EST 1998

In the words of Andy Gilham <Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM>:

>Finally got hold of the Man _1999 Party_ album!  Even though the cover says
>"Live in Chicago, April 1974", the sleeve notes say it was recorded on
>March 21 - so it's the same show as the Hawkwind one.  It's just about
>exactly an hour long, not bad for a support I guess.  Good sound, and if
>you like Man at all then it's one to get.  And you can play this and then
>the HW record to recreate the total concert experience!

Yeah! I love Man!  Believe it or not, this band is currently undergoing a
huge re-discovery/resurgence amongst young psych heads these days ... one
fanzine had one of those clichéd "what's in/what's out" charts with -

What's Out: 1970s German bands with albums on United Artists (e.g. Can,
Neu, Amon Düül II)

What's In: 1970s British bands with albums on United Artists (e.g. Man,
Help Yourself, Brinsley Schwarz, High Tide, and, of course, Hawkwind!)

Anyway - what's the deal with this?  Is it on EMI?  Is it donna be even
tougher to find in the US than HW's '1999 Party'?  What's track listing?
Does it compare favorably to the other great Man live albums ('Padget Room'
(sp.?), 'Maximum Darkness')?

Thanks,

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com