BOC: Gold Agents

Thu Jan 29 15:39:39 EST 1998

>K, just what's the deal with these gold discs?  Do they (a) look prettier
(b) last longer (c) sound better or what?  'Cause they sure (d) cost more!

Answer is probably all of the above  ;-)

a) Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  As far as the liner notes
go, however, they are definitely better.  Original artwork, lyrics, and
some 1997 notes by Buck

b) The claim is they last longer, but I can't vouch for that

c) The Gold AoF is sonically superior to the original - better bass and
dynamic range is fairly obvious - sounds more like a CD should

d) Because the original AoF doesn't sound that bad, it's up to individual
taste as to whether the extra $$ is worth it.  For the audiophile and
hardcore collector, I'd say yes.  If this treatment had been given to one
of the first 3 albums, I'd say most definitely.  But, the original AoF
CD ain't too bad, so I suspect that not everyone will feel inclined to
rush out and get this -- I did, and I'm pleased.

John