Distand Horizons/Dave Brock etc

sprawl sprawl at BLACKBOARD.COM
Fri Jan 30 23:10:31 EST 1998

John Majka wrote:

> I don't deny the validity of all these issues--certainly they would
> interfere with recording an album, but my point is that unlike most musical
> groups, Hawkwind is independent enough (no contractual obligations, plus
> owning their own studios) that they don't HAVE TO meet a particular time
> schedule.  If things were hectic etc. and the ideas weren't coming together,
> they could delay until a better time to write/record etc came up.  It's not
> like they have a guy from Virgin or whatever breathing down their necks,
> saying, "Tapes of the new album must be in our office by Friday morning".
> Of course Hawkwind would like to put out albums constantly, but I'd prefer
> that they take as much time as they want.  Overall, even if Hawkwind would
> never put out another "good" album (and I'm not saying DH isn't good--it's
> just not great) or if Brock called it quits today, they've certainly had a
> remarkable enough career to make up for any such disasters.  I mean Hawkwind
> are getting pretty old these days, but they're still WAY more creative and
> productive than other musical ancients like the Rolling Stones, who haven't
> been able to write a decent song for what 10-20 years?  Hawkwind have pretty
> much put out at least a record a year for their whole career, and every one
> has been pretty damn good, all things considered.

i can pretty much agree with all that.  especially the part about the stones! ;)but
i guess maybe they wanted the discs to go into production, so that they could
quickly  recover from any loss they might have incurred from the US tour?  i mean,
as i understand it, and i may be wrong, they would have taken a loss had it not
been for the strange days thing.  who knows?  but lets just hope that once the band
has gotten used to each other,
the output will be much better!
take care,  rj