Distant Horizons/Dave Brock etc

Kevin Sommers novadrive at PANGEATECH.COM
Sat Jan 31 04:09:30 EST 1998

> >> John Majka wrote:                                  ...More and more, I
> >feel
> >> like Hawkwind is becoming a business concern.  More evidence of this is
> >the
> >> fact that Brock stayed home on a tour some years back while someone
else
> >> played guitar in his place.  What kind of thinking could produce a lame
> >idea
> >> like that?  It's not like Hawkwind is just some product, some "brand".
We
> >> expect certain things.  Like Dave Brock playing live.
> >
> >I have no idea why Dave didn't do that tour, but give me a fucking break!
> >Missing ONE tour in almost 29 years is by no means anything to be ashamed
> >of, and HARDLY devious evidence of a band (or a man) selling out.  He had
> >never done it before, and he hasn't done it since.  And I really don't
think
> >he was just sitting in a cushy chair, smoking a fat cigar with his feet
up,
> >laughing as he counted all the gold rolling in.
> >Kevin
>
> Well duh.  I think you missed my point.  Of course Hawkwind hasn't "sold
> out" and as far as their type of music is concerned, it's not possible to
> get rich anyway.  Because the money is so feeble outside of mainstream
> music, if you want to make it a "career" (i.e. no job to pay the bills
while
> you do music), then it is necessary to constantly be as active as
possible,
> just to survive.  Dave stayed home from that tour to mix Palace Springs
and
> attend to Hawkwind bookings, legal actions, etc.  What I am saying is that
> the "business" side of the band certainly has overshadowed the music side
at
> times in recent years.  Did Dave really believe he was replaceable on
tour?
> Dave was attending to making a living, so to speak, while Hawkwind toured
> without him.
> John Majka
> flossbac at wcic.org

And maybe you missed mine.
I, like I said, have no idea why Dave skipped that one tour.  Maybe you have
inside information, but it seems to me that there have been plenty of albums
to mix, alot of legal shit, and ongoing bookings to attend to along the
years, along with alot of tours, all of which, bar this one, Dave made.  I
don't know how you know what Dave was doing this one month in '91, but it
seems to me that he might have had other VERY good reasons for missing that
tour, which has not been repeated since!