BOC:Super Hits

Thu Jul 2 11:02:49 EDT 1998

>It's bad enough that Sony is releasing another greatest hits package, but in my
opinion "Goin' through the Motions" is one of the worst songs BOC has done.

Well, it was one of BOC's singles, so that's probably justification.

Actually, I find this inclusion somewhat poetic justice - because this
CD is obviously Sony just Goin' Through the Motions

>I would like to know who was responsible for picking the song list and what
they were smoking at the time.

Yeah, and take every Sony compilation with the exception perhaps of
"Workshop of the Telescopes" (which suffers not from sins of comission,
but sins of omission) and ask the same question.  Then again, any BOC
"Hits" compilation should probably have "The Big 3", and after that
it's pretty much a crap shoot - the main basis, especially for record
execs with probably little knowlege of BOC, would probably be songs
released as singles.  But, this release is probably aimed more at either
a first-time listener (perhaps intrigued by Heaven Forbid - assuming they
heard of it), or by an old fan that hasn't bought any of BOC's stuff on
CD, but doesn't feel like buying a double-CD Greatest Hits package (WOTT).
And, even if Sony sells very few of these, it won't matter, because it
cost them next-to-nothing to produce (remember, this is material that
Sony has in their vaults, and own the rights to).

Come to think of it, I'll bet Sony really isn't capitalizing on the
potential *listener* due to Heaven Forbid, I'll bet they're capitalizing
on the *record stores* due to Heaven Forbid - you know, sell a bunch
of these compilations to them since they've probably recently sold an
above-average number of BOC CDs.  And, what will probably eventually
happen is that these WON'T sell, and will end up in the $5.99 bargain
bins in a year or two (like "On Flame With Rock and Roll" has done) -
Sony will make it's money, and the record stores will end up losing.

John