HW: Live at the Kinetic Playground

Johan Edlundh johan.edlundh at HABO.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Sun Jul 5 08:05:59 EDT 1998

hi list,
I came across the _Live at the Kinetic Playground_ boot, which happen to be
a CD Recordable. Front cover is a b/w photo printed on a blue piece of
paper. Picture is the same as on pg6 in the booklet of the EMI Stasis, which
actually is Hawkwind 1971. The creator is in phase with the Hawks! Over the
picture is the name of the group, below is the name of the boot. Inner side
of the two page insert is just blank.
Back side is just plain ASCII on the same blue paper:

     Hawkwind Live at the Kinetic Playground 3/12-1971

               Tracks:
               Technicians of spaceship earth  3.58
               You shouldn't do that  10.18
               You know you're only dreaming  4.35
               Master of the universe  6.44
               Paranoia  5.09
               Silver machine  5.19
               Born to go  11.33
               (Cosmic) jam  25.14

               Lone Wolf Records CD 001, may 1998

My CD player reports its full length to be 71:54. The CD itself is made of
coloured dye - it looks blue to me. I haven't catch up with the latest news
in the CD-R technology, but do remember the discussion of the "one year
lasting green dye of the _Nova Drive_", which still is playing fine after 36
months.
A white paper label is attached on top of the CD-R. It brings no more
information to us, that we can read on the cover.

Country of origin is Swedish, but no list member is as far as I know
involved with this production.

Oh, the sound quality?
Well, the '71 Kinetic Playground tape is well known among tapers for its
very good sound quality - mark: this is 1971!, and this CD is among the best
- both semi official and unofficial - releases of Hawkwind live stuff from
this era. Not bad at all.
Paranoia is a killer version, and the Cosmic Jam is interesting too.

The complete 80 mins tape contains the following tracks (info's from
Bernhards Tape List),
Technicians of Spaceship Earth / You Shouldn't do That / Awakening / You
Know You're Only Dreaming / Spirit of the Age / Master of the Universe /
Paranoia / Earth Calling / Silver Machine / Welcome to the Future / Born To
Go / Jam
and as I understand the tape is the source to this boot.

As 80 mins is more than the 74 mins that is maximum for one CD-R, I
understand why the bootlegger had made a cut here and there in the tape, to
make room for the most interesting bits. However, I cannot understand why he
had made a cut between Track 1&2, and track 4&5. In both track 1&4 you hear
in the final seconds how the next track begins with its distinct riffs. Then
cut. Then silence 2 secs. Then reenter the distinct riff.
Not the way I want folks to handle a live recording.

One funny thing:
both boots _Orgasmatron_ (one of the boots I don't have, info's taken from
Mike Holmes recent Orgasmatron mail) and the CD-R _Corridors of Flame_
date's this famous Birmingham Kinetic Playground gig to 12.12.71, when this
item talks of 3.12.71
The latest version I have of Bernhard Pospeich gig list does also date this
gig to 3.12.71 - who's old enough to tell me what's the correct date?

And yes,
I'm still in doubt if CD-R's should be included in discographies, or if they
should be equalized to homemade compact cassettes.
More and more I'm convinced the answer is commercial success (oh well we're
talking Hawkwind here, I meant at least sold). How many homemade compact
cassettes has been sold in 25-100 pcs? I guess you can count those on your
left hand's thumb.
If I make a CD-R in three pieces, keep one for myself, send one to Brian
Tawn for being mentioned in the next Hawkfan - and sell the last for UKP50 -
should this be counted?
No. Of course not.
Should the last year Hawxtar release be counted? Sold in 100 numbered pcs,
4pg coloured insert with sleeve notes - yes, if this had been a pure hw
release, it should be included in the Hawkwind Discograpy.

One other thing: Does the CD-R have a proper cover? Does it try to look like
official stuff? Can it be mixed with official releases on a record fair?
If yes - should be counted.

Comments?

yours truly kollekting,
the -joe

cd-r ps. Rumours talks also of an _Atomhenge '76_ CD-R boot that will come
very soon from the same source.