OFF: Swedish Help

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Mon Jul 6 05:47:15 EDT 1998

> Once again, perhaps the list-Swedes can help me here :)
>
> Is there an equivalent expression in Swedish to the English
>slang expression "X rules!", where "X" is some person or thing
>which the speaker considers to be really great (as in "Lemmy
>rules!", "Buck Dharma rules!", "This band rules!", etc.)?

no, there isn't.
you can always say "Lemmy is best", but that will sound as lame as in
anglosaxian.
youngsters does actually uses the english experssion "Lemmy rules" and
"Lemmy sucks" here, and then fight each other until both uses the same
expression.

actually, both expressions is * very poorly* direct translated into the
following: "Lemmy regerar" and "Lemmy suger".
This is not Swedish, it's more like "Internet Svengelska", and I don't
understand the use of it at all. The anglosaxian slang makes much more
sense, even used in swedish sentences.
<<<<

But in Norwegian that's common and fully Norwegian slang! It would be:
"Lemmy er konge!" or "Lemmy er sjef!" That means, respectively King and
chief/boss. I know I've said the former myself without hesitation :) I'm
sure this phrasing has existed since the 70s (with no cryptic English
influence via Arpanet I am sure :^)

Christian