OFF: Swedish help

Dan Lindfors lindfors at ALGONET.SE
Mon Jul 6 07:14:18 EDT 1998

At 18:46 1998-07-05 GMT, you wrote:
>Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>
>>     Is there an equivalent expression in Swedish to the English
>>slang expression "X rules!", where "X" is some person or thing
>>which the speaker considers to be really great (as in "Lemmy
>>rules!", "Buck Dharma rules!", "This band rules!", etc.)?
>
>In my language the equivalent for "XX rules" is "XX is a king", or
>"XXs are kings". But since your country is a monarchy, this would
>sound politically incorrect.  ;-)
>
>Goran Janicijevic
><simplius at softhome.net>

Yes, to call someone worthy a "king" (kung) is in fact probably the nearest
to "rules" in swedish. And a artist or athletic honored with that "title"
- to be "kung" - could in fact (2) a that moment have at least as much
power as the swedish kung...

    __    __
  |[====|||||||||||[::} Dan Lindfors, lindfors at algonet.se
  \__.-._\                      ``    Den bästa hämnden är att leva väl!