OFF: Taping Policy

Tue Jul 7 09:04:14 EDT 1998

> From:          "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>
> > Or just call me irresponsible.  My (hypothetic) record company would
> > then sue us then kill us dead then market all our back catalogue and not
> > pay us a bean.
>
> >I guess it depends on the clout of the band.  For example, >The Allman
> >Brothers Band are on Sony, and they officially allow taping.  >Metallica
> >are on Electra, and they allow taping.  Both are major labels.  >Both bands
> have no problems selling records, despite the taping policy.
>
> Lots of bands are into this now.  There were several folks video and
> audio taping the recent Savatage show, including the band itself.  Jon
> Oliva prfoessed to the same line of thought, if there are gonna be boots
> they may as well sound good.  Still can't understand why sopme venues
> won't allow it when the bands themselves encourage it.

Gov't Mule and Little Feat encourage taping, even provide board
patches sometimes.  Paul Barrere of LF is on the Feat list, and he
says that taping actually helps sell the band's official releases, as
it keeps interest in the band high in between studio albums, and it
also exposes the group to other listeners through trading with folks
who tape other bands and then exchange with Feat fans...

theo