HW: Live at The Kinetic Playground

Tue Jul 7 17:08:18 EDT 1998

> From:          Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
> Actually, I don't think this has ever been released on vinyl.  (It's a
> CD put out by Grateful Dead Merchandising; I bought it through their WWW
> site.)  You may be mistaking it for its more famous counterpart, _At
> Fillmore East_, recorded and released in 1971.

Paul, could you post the URL?  sounds like a disc I should have.
What's on it?

> It also illustrates well the difference between a warts 'n' all live
> recording (a la _Fillmore East, 1970_), and a cleaned-up, selective,
> assembled "live recording" (a la _At Fillmore East_, or, worse, _The
> Fillmore Concerts_ [in which "live" tracks are digitally stitched
> together from different shows]).
>
> Btw, I *love* _The Fillmore Concerts_, but _Fillmore East, 1970_ is much
> closer to what a real 1970 ABB gig would've sounded like to the
> audience, I think.  (And rather nice, too!)

I've been listening to the Fillmore Concerts here at work the last
couple days!

Actually, this kind of splicing isn't new.  Cream's Crossroads, while
not spliced together [at least I don't think so] was actually part of
a much longer take that was pared down from around 10 minutes to the
5 minute or so version from Wheels of Fire...

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."