OFF: ABB, _Fillmore East, 1970_

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Jul 7 18:16:50 EDT 1998

Theo,

> > From:          Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
> > Actually, I don't think this has ever been released on vinyl.  (It's a
> > CD put out by Grateful Dead Merchandising; I bought it through their WWW
> > site.)  You may be mistaking it for its more famous counterpart, _At
> > Fillmore East_, recorded and released in 1971.
>
> Paul, could you post the URL?  sounds like a disc I should have.
> What's on it?

The track listing is:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Hoochie Coochie Man
Statesboro Blues
Trouble No More
Outskirts of Town
Whipping Post
Mountain Jam

Mountain Jam clocks in at around 30 minutes, and the whole CD is over 70
minutes.  Sound quality is good---recorded by Owsley himself!---and is
close to what the venue would've sounded on the night, so the liner
notes say.  This is raw, unedited Allmans, on the night (flubbed notes
and all:)!

The ABB WWW site has a page on it
(http://www.netspace.org/allmans/reviews/rreviews/fill0270.html).  You
can order it from "them," or, from the source (Grateful Dead
Merchandising), http://grateful.dead.net/merchandising/music/merch/index.html,
and save a little.

I've seen this CD in a local store for the outrageous price of $30---a
whopping markup over the $11+S&H GDM charge, so it pays to go mail
order. :-)

> I've been listening to the Fillmore Concerts here at work the last
> couple days!
>
> Actually, this kind of splicing isn't new.  Cream's Crossroads, while
> not spliced together [at least I don't think so] was actually part of
> a much longer take that was pared down from around 10 minutes to the
> 5 minute or so version from Wheels of Fire...

Yeah, but on _TFC_, "...Elizabeth Reed," for example, is spliced
together from two halves of two separate performances on two different
nights (which is harder to do).  But I guess that's no worse than
cutting down a longer take by chopping out all the bad parts, is it? :-)

Actually, Frank Zappa kind of took this to the Nth degree (maybe a new
compositional art form?:).  On the _You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore_
series, some tracks were spliced together from separate performances.
In the case of "Lonesome Cowboy Burt," the performances were 20 years
apart!!  (He also used this technology on _Civilisation, Phase III_ to
integrate dialogue from the original _Lumpy Gravy_ sessions with
present-day additions.  Sonic Solutions took care of ironing out the
ambience differences.  Scary stuff!)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Roy Bookbinder, _Travelin' Man_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix