OFF: ABB, _Fillmore East, 1970_

Tue Jul 7 22:41:23 EDT 1998

On tis 7 jul 1998 18.16 -0400 "Paul Mather" <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU> wrote:

> Mountain Jam clocks in at around 30 minutes, and the whole CD is over 70
> minutes.  Sound quality is good---recorded by Owsley himself!---and is
> close to what the venue would've sounded on the night, so the liner
> notes say.  This is raw, unedited Allmans, on the night (flubbed notes
> and all:)!
> I've seen this CD in a local store for the outrageous price of $30---a
> whopping markup over the $11+S&H GDM charge, so it pays to go mail
> order. :-)

     Oh *yes*.  Oh yes oh yes I think *so*.

> Yeah, but on _TFC_, "...Elizabeth Reed," for example, is spliced
> together from two halves of two separate performances on two different
> nights (which is harder to do).  But I guess that's no worse than
> cutting down a longer take by chopping out all the bad parts, is it? :-)

     That never bothered me--I mean, I appreciate the purity of an
original recording, but I also appreciate that you *can* take two
partially good recordings and make one excellent recording out of
them.  If it sounds good, do it.  It's not like they're trying to
deceive you or anything: they've simply said, "We've spliced it."
So what the hey :)

> "I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
>         --- James Marshall Hendrix

     Get right back to you one of these days.  There's a marvelous
Gov't Mule version of this :)

Cheers,
Carl

--