OFF: ABB, _Fillmore East, 1970_

Hulsebos A arjanh at CS.VU.NL
Wed Jul 8 03:34:12 EDT 1998

On Jul 7,  6:16pm, Paul Mather wrote:

>> Actually, this kind of splicing isn't new.  Cream's Crossroads, while
>> not spliced together [at least I don't think so] was actually part of
>> a much longer take that was pared down from around 10 minutes to the
>> 5 minute or so version from Wheels of Fire...

Didn't know that. Has the full version ever been released?

>Yeah, but on _TFC_, "...Elizabeth Reed," for example, is spliced
>together from two halves of two separate performances on two different
>nights (which is harder to do).  But I guess that's no worse than
>cutting down a longer take by chopping out all the bad parts, is it? :-)

Apart from tempo differences, it isn't. You'd have to be a very consistent
musician, otherwise you'd wind up with _The Chipmunk Orchestra_ :-)

>Actually, Frank Zappa kind of took this to the Nth degree (maybe a new
>compositional art form?:).  On the _You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore_
>series, some tracks were spliced together from separate performances.
>In the case of "Lonesome Cowboy Burt," the performances were 20 years
>apart!!  (He also used this technology on _Civilisation, Phase III_ to
>integrate dialogue from the original _Lumpy Gravy_ sessions with
>present-day additions.  Sonic Solutions took care of ironing out the
>ambience differences.  Scary stuff!)

He took it even further: on Sheik Yerbouti, there's a (at least one) track
where the bass and the drum tracks were taken from different recordings,
for songs that had (up til then) nothing to do with one another......
On _You Can't_, there are two tracks (King Kong and Montana), which have
performances spliced together from two, totally different bands; I think
only Zappa is a common member of both bands... Scary? Yes, it's scary
how good Zappa's bandmembers are/were.

Cheers,
         Arjan H
--
Disclaimer? Whaddayamean, disclaimer? This is 1998!

            Arjan Hulsebos -- arjanh at cs.vu.nl
For more info (last updated June 5,1998): finger -l arjanh at top.cs.vu.nl