BOC: Creativity and production

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Wed Jul 8 07:35:25 EDT 1998

> Hmm...curious how that coincides with Al's departure from the group
> eh?   I didn't know that, about all the leftover songs.  REally makes
> me drool for a boxed set.  Maybe if  i live to be a hundred
>
> Do you know any of the names of the songs not used, and who wrote
> them?  I'd find this fascinating...
>
> theo

Let's not discount the creative abilities of the remaing three
founders here. I mean, Al's stuff is great, and probably the most
highly regarded in the eyes of true BOC fans...but remember, whether
you like the "Big three" or not, they're ALL Buck's tunes, and it was
those three songs, plus Buck's playing, that garnered BOC the
lion's share of the mainstream attention they  got. In fact, I'd argue
that it without those hits, we might not be talking about BOC at all
in 1998. I know I personally was hooked into them after hearing
Godzilla.
And Harvest Moon, another total Buck-o-Rama, is arguably one of their
best songs since well before Al and Joe left.
Plus, it's done backflips around any Brain Surgeons tunes in terms of
commercial success...although that could also have a lot to do with
BOC having CMC in their corner.
Not to diss Al, who I think is fantastic, both with BOC and without
them, but to suggest that BOC can't play up to past standards anymore
really shortchanges Buck, Eric and Allen.

--  Nick