BOC: Resequencing/New Material

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Jul 8 17:23:51 EDT 1998

>Don't get me wrong...Heaven Forbid is excellent...Like many on the list I
found it better than I expected it to be. But I believe these guys are
capable of much, much more, and I (perhaps too optimistically) consider
Heaven Forbid a warm-up for a full-fledged career revival complete with
more frequent releases and a return to the experimentation that hooked
me on BOC in the first place.

--  Nick

Might be a long wait as they really haven't done anything like what you
describe since...well.. Secret Treaties.

>I'm not too sure.  You gotta remember these are getting to be pretty old guys
now.  Granted BD looks a good 10 years younger than he is [anyone else
notice a similarity bet BD and Michael Douglas--BD being a bit more,
eh, cherubic?] but almost 30 years of touring has got to be taking a
toll.  Also, how many creative ideas is one human brain
capable of hatching?  Seems like they had trouble coming up with enough
material for HF--which I agree is excellent, and better than I would've
guessed.  Also, it looks like Allen is on cruise control these days, I
hate to say.  He's almost non-existant on HF...

But does age really have that much to do with it?  The constant touring
may be equally responsible.  Rehearsals, sound checks, gigs, travel.
Can't see them having much time for songwriting let alone their personal
lives with their schedule.  And yeah Buck does resemble Mike Douglas
sort of.  While I agree Allen dosen't appear to be playing much of a
role in the studio his guitar work lately has been pretty good. He's
playing far less keys and far more guitar.  I think this has really
helped the live performance.

>Anyway, anybody else do some HF rearranging?  (and RBN / CN while we're at
it?)

Nope haven't done HF yet but planning to do a card shuffle on RBN/CN.  I
am convinced that splicing these two together with a decent order will
yeild a real kick ass BOC album.  Shooting for a 60 min tape.  Any
suggestions always welcome.

>I always prefer the order from the FAQ, besides making the story more
coherent, it has a nice juxtaposition of heavier
tunes with lighter tunes.

Isn't that the same as the order Al suggests in the liner notes?
Provided a friend Imaginos sequenced that way and he loved it, been
trying to find a copy ever since, poor guy.

Ghost in the Ruins