BOC: Creativity and production

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Jul 9 09:07:47 EDT 1998

>Not to diss Al, who I think is fantastic, both with BOC and without them, but
to suggest that BOC can't play up to past standards anymore really
shortchanges Buck, Eric and Allen.

Agreed.  But as HF illustrates its time to acknowledge that the standard
may have changed.  Nothing wrong with that.

>Musically, BOC is week in the obvious place: drums.
The drumming on the album (and at the Astoria) was fine, and
there's no doubt it is technically quite competant.  But it
doesn't really _stand out_ the way Al's does.

OK I guess I see this point.  Bobby the round-one is a fine drummer, but
Al has a very unique style.  I felt then (70's) and now that he would be
a better R&B drummer than Rock.  IMHO he can play any style while the
"committee" BOC has employed over the past several years are best suited
for Rock only.

>Sadly, I believe Allen's pretty much along for the ride these days.

But this really isn't new.  Allen has always been the background guy, he
simply fits in.  BOC has never really done anything that relies heavily
on his guitar or keyboard work.  Not to say Allen is coasting I think
he's just understated.  Seems happy to put a little bit of brilliance
here and there but mostly just do his job.

>However, I do suspect that some of the relative silence is due to Billy
Hilfiger's battle with brain cancer.

Certainly wish Billy well in this battle.

Torgo>Later kids.
My my, hey hey. Today's my 35th birthday. :^)

Hehehehehehe at the halfway point to official geezerhood Torgo.  Should
we haze you now or later?  Get plenty of rest saturday morning 'cause I
want to see your show review first thing monday when I log on.

L8er
Ghost in the Ruins

"Yesterday: USA Today reported that scientists have revealed that beer
contains small  traces of female hormones. To prove their theory, they
fed 100 men 12 pints of lager and observed  that 100% of them gained
weight, talked incessantly without making  sense,and couldn't drive."