OFF: Tape Swap Review

gumby.telis gumby at TELIS.ORG
Fri Jul 10 18:21:28 EDT 1998

This is the Gumby Man checking in for his quarterly post.

Just wanted to send out kudos to Doug Bates.  His "stream of
consciousness" tape was bizarre and fantastic.  I'm having trouble
listening to anything else right now.

The tape flows chronologically from the Sixties to the Nineties.  It
makes great usage of the fantasy and ambiance of the late 60's and early
70's, while including the oddness and fierceness of the 80' and 90's rock.

Highlights include:

Ultimate Spinach playing "Hip Death Goddess," Arthur Brown's "Time
Captives," Roky Erickson's "Stand for the Fire Demon," The Guess Who's
"Friends of Mine", Bauhaus' "Bela Lugosi's Dead," and The Rollins Band
slamming it in the listener's ears with "Ghostrider."  There's much more
on the tape (the full list is below).

It is a damn good mix of music; Doug did an outstanding job of choosing
songs that flowed together well.

The Gumby Man gives it two green thumbs up!

Stuart, the tape is on its way to you.  Be careful.  It's a musical
narcotic.

Complete List of Tracks on Doug's tape:

1 Dirty Filthy Mud - The Forest of Black
   Ultimate Spinach - Hip Death Goddess
   Arthur Brown - Time Captives
   Roky Erickson - Stand for the Fire Demon
   Terry Brooks & Strange - Ruler of the Universe
   The Guess Who - Friends of Mine
   T. Rex - Ballrooms of Mars
2 Black Sabbath - Stonehenge
   Bauhaus - Bela  Lugosi Dead
   Marilyn Manson - Diary of a Dope Fiend
   Rollins Band - Ghostrider
   The Incredible Expanding Mind Fuck - The gospel according to the I.E.M.
   Sabalon Glitz - Hammer of the Witches
   Dead Flowers - Altered State Circus
   Sun Dial - Slow Motion
   F/i - Full Meddle Eddie

Thomas Nelson is the Gumby Man/Spooky Mizu Productions
gumby at telis.org

       The wolf he howls, howls up at the moon;
       some day coming - some day soon . . .
       Onto his shoulder, to carry me home;
       flying up through the silhouette trees and we'll be gone . . .
                                         New Model Army
                                        _Wonderful Way to Go_