tBS: Live 7/10/98

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Jul 13 11:26:30 EDT 1998

> From:          brian halligan <brianh at PULLEYN.COM>

> I second Torgo's review ;-) I'd also like to mention that whether due to
> the soundman, or through practice, the Surgeons vocal harmonies have
> never sounded better live.  I'm definately looking forward to hearing
> some tunes from the new CD later this summer!

I agree.  A most excellent gig.  I would say that Billy's guitar
could have been mixed a bit more 'in your face' for his lead parts,
though.

Other observations:

Deb continues to impress as a gtrst.  I think this is the most she's
played at any of the gigs I've seen.  Gives a nice fullness to the
sound having as many gtr plyrs working at once...

Band just keeps getting tighter and tighter.  This is one solid unit
with everyone on the same page, hittin' on all 8.

Wish they could have gotten on a bit earlier.  I played the night
before, and by the time they finished [after 1am] I was pretty
whipped, and still with an hour drive home.  A huge cup of '100 mile
coffee' got me home without sideswiping any guardrails...

You all are probably tired of hearing me say it, but Al is simply a
drummer's drummer.  This guy could give lessons to just about anyone
in the rock genre.  Even with a compact kit [a 5piece, maybe 6?] he
can come up with shit that most great players couldn't do with a
double rig.  He's never cliched or predictable.  Always a unique
beat, often quirky and in counterpoint to the song.  He takes chances
and gets away with it, always challenging your ear.  Yet he always
fits the song, esp. if you think of the lyrics.  Al, you're the man!

so, you guys going to the Rochester gig?  BTW, if anyone can give me
a street address for the Roch. venue, or maybe directions from Syra,
I'd be appreciative.

Nice seeing listmembers past and present at the gig.  Hope to see you
all down the road a bit...

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."