BOC (&HW) The Great Sun Jester

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Wed Jul 15 09:09:05 EDT 1998

I've known for a time that the Moorcock's lyrics
for "The Great Sun Jester" were also used as
straight poetry by Hawkwind and/or other bands
we sometimes discuss on the list.  Someone sent
me some sheets of Hawkwind lyrics that included
this, listed as "The Joker of the Universe".

I noted that the lyrics, while almost identical,
include one verse not found in "The Great Sun
Jester":

And he laughed for us
And he gave us all he had
He was Jesus, he was Jonas
He was good and he was bad

(continues w/ "And he took the stars, in his hands,
        and as he scattered them he'd shout", the rest
        all the same)....

Does anyone know if BOC ever performed TGSJ live, and if
so, did they ever use this verse?  I'm guessing they
left it out to avoid mentioning Jesus...

Also, on the other side of the list, does anyone know if
The Joker of the Universe was ever done w/ the music from
TGSJ?

OBCDtrack:  Fireclown, by DarXtar

AAA