BOC: Alive and Well in Bristol CT

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Jul 17 12:33:35 EDT 1998

>I'd like to see a bit more HF in the
> setlist and maybe some of the lesser known songs from RBN (Shooting
> Shark?).

Theo said>I wouldn't mind hearing more stuff from HF either, say
Damaged, or esp. CGLoD...Probably the fact that BOC's been around a lot
longer than the groups you cited, and has so many more albums out there
to pull material from.

OK I did some math:

KX - 6 (new one this fall)
Savatage - 10
Queensryche - 7
BOC - (not counting lives and comps) - 10, strecth it with Imaginos, 11

A bit further most of BOC's were original vinyl so you get what , 45 min
of music, 8-10 songs?

All right lets call an apple an apple and compare a recent Sav show to
BOC.  Both had new albums released in the US.  They have relatively the
same amount of studio albums.

Examine the setlist Savatage consisted mostly of material from   the
last 4 and a couple of way backs.  They only played one song from Dead
Winter Dead (title track), which proceeded the latest effort.

Now BOC goes all the way back to the big three, and commercial two, with
a few newbies that they have already been playing for years...

Guess your right their age (i.e., nostalgia) is showing.

Theo>Also, though I hate saying it, those bands are still pretty much on
the upswing, and are trying like hell to sell new albums to a crowd that
is in a current time-frame, whilst BOC has to contend with the
'nostalgia thing...'

True, however is an unfamilair fan heard SYiB or HM on the radio and
again in concert, is one additional song yet unheard enough to convince
them to buy the new one?  In some cases probably, in others not.  I'd
consider adding one to two more to the setlist and re-order this thing,
Hammer Back as the opener, shove Burnin' and CoF down one, delete ETI
and take it from there.

> HF seems to be selling well enough anyway but Damaged and say Hammer  Back
fit well with the current lineup.  If you want to take it easy on  the
Eric songs just sub , say Real World for Hammer Back.

Theo>That's great news.  Hope it gives them the confidence to put out
more stuff...BTW, John, any news on the Live album [BBC or King Biscuit]
?

Yeah what gives?  A while ago it looked like at least three different
BOC releases this summer.  I want the KB, real sucker for live BOC.

> >Oh, man, if I had a videocam...
>
> Somebody on this list is going to have to catch Jason on video.

Theo>Hey, somebody videotaped the Kingsbury gig  a while back, but jason
didn't make that one.  Maybe during the August mini-tour, the planets
will be in allignment...

Smile for that camera Jason...

Ghost in the Ruins

OBGreat Triumph song to cover - Time Cannon/Killing Time (Thunder Seven)