BOC: Super Hits

Tue Jul 21 14:49:43 EDT 1998

Well, I happened to be at my local record store today, so
I picked this up. While I've maintained that this is soley
a "collectors only" CD, since it contains no new material,
there is one interesting thing -- the version of "The Red
and the Black", despite the liner notes crediting it "From
*Tyranny and Mutation*", is actually the live version from
"the BOC Bootleg EP". If, for some reason you didn't pick
up *Workshop of the Telescopes*, it's possible that you would
want to get the CD for this track.

As I said before, really pathetic cover - no imagination at all.

Here's what the liner notes say:

"One of the first of the truly heavy metal bands, Blue
Oyster Cult remains one of the most sophisticated. A
literate lyric approach and the guitar fire of Donald
'Buck Dharma' Roeser made the difference. An ace riff
master, Buck Dharma is one of the greatest rock guitarists
to ever strap on a six string. His simultaneous mastery
of ultimate power chords and tumultuous lead playing
continously demand the listener's attention. Throughout
the seventies and eighties, Blue Oyster Cult dominated
rock 'n' roll audiences with their ceaseless touring and
steady flow of album releases which included such classic
thinking person's rock 'n' roll songs as "The Red And
The Black", "This Ain't The Summer Of Love", and the
lighter but no less meaningful "Don't Fear The Reaper"
and "Godzilla", all of which are here on this Super Hits
Collection."

John

PS:  Yes, you can hear "you poor f**king humans at the
end of "Black Blade" on this compilation.  :-)