MotorHead & Legendary Pink Dots Reccommendations please

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Jul 21 16:15:17 EDT 1998

In article <000501bdb489$eb1541c0$413f63c3 at default>, Andy Gilham
<Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM> writes
>OK.
>
>If you like compilations, _No Remorse_ is hard to surpass, an excellent
>record of Motorhead up to whenever it was, mid-80s or so.
>
>However, my favourite is still the first, _Motorhead_.  It's a different
>beast from what Motorhead later became, it's more of a hard'n'heavy
>blues-rock album than the slight self-caricature they later became; but you
>do get seminal classics like "Iron Horse (Born to Lose)", "Motorhead"
>itself, and the utterly superb "Keep us on the Road".

Couldn't agree more with that assessment - there is a killer version of
"Keep Us On The Road" on the "What's Words Worth" LP (if you can find
it). The first album also has the hilarious track "Vibrator", complete
with one of the things buzzing away, panning from left to right and
back! I don't think Lemmy did the lyrics for this one but the line "New
battery? Is that for me?!" has to be one of my favourite lines of all
time! Another nice touch was the "White Vinyl Fever" labeling for the
original white vinyl Chiswick release.

Reminisce mode: I only got to see the classic line-up at the Port Vale
HM Holocaust. The organisers claimed to have the loudest PA ever
assembled - 130KW thereabouts. Before the gig got started when there
weren't many people around, I was walking about 50 feet from the stage
when the frigging sound man suddenly decided to test it out full whack.
Without any warning, I suddenly had 130KW pounding down my left ear - I
nearly fell over with shock. You cannot believe how loud that rig was
with no bodies in the way to absorb the sound! I still have an
occasional thump in my left ear to remind me. Motorhead were of course
absolutely brilliant and having just released No Sleep, were at their
peak for that line-up.

--
Mark Edmonds