HW: Interesting Challenge

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Jul 22 19:12:17 EDT 1998

>Hi List,
>
>I have been introducing a Japanese friend to hawkwind,  I shouldn't be
>surprised to have been asked the question "Which is the besty album?"
>Now,  I think this should be an open question,  Warriors or Doremi have
>it for me,  but what would people recommend as the "educational" best
>album of choice?

Yeah, I think Chris' suggestion is best.  But if you don't want to take the
time to make a tape, I'd suggest either Disc 2 of the Box Set, or Stasis as
the proper starter.

If I *had* to choose one album though, I'd say either Space Ritual or
Warrior.  But of course, 'Quark', 'Levitation', 'Choose Your Masques', and
'Electric Tepee' are all very nice works as well, respective of their
various eras, and all six are really necessary until you get all of what
Hawkwind has been about.

I don't think Black Sword is the way to go, since I think there is a real
wide variance of opinions on that one (I'm one who thinks it's subpar), so
you might get a fantastically positive response, or perhaps the opposite.
On the other hand, pretty much everyone agrees that Space Ritual is a
classic I'd imagine.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  If your friend is actually *in* Japan, you should trade for a copy of
Marble Sheep's 'Psychedelic Paradise Live' on Cap'n Trip.