OFF: ozzfest and motorhead

Eddie Williamson OE3 at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 22 22:42:00 EDT 1998

In a message dated 7/22/98 12:26:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK writes:

<< >  also, it's no secret
 > that billing on festival tours like this is heirarchical by record sales,
 the
 > motorhead anathema.  sorry old farts (not nec. this list, just whining
 old-
 > timers in gen.), the kids like limp bizkit and tool, deal with it.
 motorhead
 > needs this exposure and this is the biggest tour they've done in ages.
 > ozzfest is kicking ass all over the fruited plain, and getting motorhead
 in
 > front of the youth-oriented ozzfest is the best thing for lemmy.

      Agreed, Motorhead need/deserve the exposure.  When they played
 here last year, I preach the gospel most mightily to the dissolute
 youth in the Cambridge Rock Society, and lo! fans were born.  So
 I think they can still deliver it to "the kids" if they hear it and
 learn better than to suck on the weak and pox-ridden pap MTV feeds
 them ...

      Well, Tool are a cool band :) but Limp Bizkit?!  Guess I'm
 an old fart before I'm 30.  Better start getting my lines down:
 Damn kids! :)

 Cheers,
 Carl >>

btw, i forgot to add that i saw motorhead play in front of damn near 40,000
heads (at least half were under 25, too) at the "ozzfest gets warped" show in
somerset, wis. (q: what would be their last and all-time largest audiences?)
it was just before dusk and the crowd was at lemmy's fingertips.  THEY
CRUSHED!!  the 40 min. set was short, yes, but oh so sweet: "overkill", "stay
clean", "no class", "killed by death", "sacrifice", "ace of spades" and a
couple of others.  loud, proud, and fucking righteous!!!  unfortunately the
crowd didn't give lemmy the ups he deserves; they were lacking luster and
respect and were rather passive for drunk cheeseheads.  fuck 'em!
oe3
p.s. ozzy was "on", too, with a show-starting/stopping one-two-three wollop of
"believer"--unbelievable, "i don't know" and "bark at the moon".  his voice
was pristine and he has his best band since '82 in tow, too.