HW: Interesting Challenge

David G d.greenhalgh at VIRGIN.NET
Thu Jul 23 12:55:20 EDT 1998

Keith Henderson wrote:

> >Hi List,
> >
> >I have been introducing a Japanese friend to hawkwind,  I shouldn't be
> >surprised to have been asked the question "Which is the besty album?"
> >Now,  I think this should be an open question,  Warriors or Doremi have
> >it for me,  but what would people recommend as the "educational" best
> >album of choice?
>
> Yeah, I think Chris' suggestion is best.  But if you don't want to take the
> time to make a tape, I'd suggest either Disc 2 of the Box Set, or Stasis as
> the proper starter.
>
> If I *had* to choose one album though, I'd say either Space Ritual or
> Warrior.  But of course, 'Quark', 'Levitation', 'Choose Your Masques', and
> 'Electric Tepee' are all very nice works as well, respective of their
> various eras, and all six are really necessary until you get all of what
> Hawkwind has been about.
>
> I don't think Black Sword is the way to go, since I think there is a real
> wide variance of opinions on that one (I'm one who thinks it's subpar), so
> you might get a fantastically positive response, or perhaps the opposite.
> On the other hand, pretty much everyone agrees that Space Ritual is a
> classic I'd imagine.
>
> Keith H. (FAA)
>
> P.S.  If your friend is actually *in* Japan, you should trade for a copy of
> Marble Sheep's 'Psychedelic Paradise Live' on Cap'n Trip.

At the moment he is sat next to me here,  he has never heard of this,  but will
be looking,  thanks!

I think I'm going to have make a tape then burn it to CD.  I'm interested that
no-one has come up with Calvert Era albums yet (except quark),  I wonder if i
am the only person in the list who rates "Astounding"!!

This is turning into an interesting discussion,  Thanks,

daveG