BJC/BOC/PSU

Steven Tice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 24 23:39:44 EDT 1998

<< >Well, I saw Skynyrd live last night in State College, PA. Here's an
 >overview:

Wow, somebody else from BOC-L was in MY neck of the woods!  And I had no
idea...ah well...:-)

>>This wasn't in Bryce Jordan, was it???  If so, was it 'fully open' (stage at
 one end), or half-sized (stage in middle, half closed off)?  I couldn't
 imagine that they'd draw the kind of numbers these days to even warrant them
 being in such a massive bldg., esp. in such a small market.

Yes, it was the Bryce Jordan center.  I keep wondering when they'll book
BOC...:-)

>>Keith H. (FAA, PSU '86)

Hey, I'm PSU '87...

>>P.S.  The only concert at Penn State even worth the effort of attending in
 my four years there was BOC in 1983 on the TRbN tour (in old Rec Hall, aka
 Wrecked Hall).  Pretty cool...Godzilla behind Rick Downey (sorry I missed
 you Al), and the freaky mirror-backed guitar light trick they used to do.
 Fun show and packed house (maybe 6,000). >>

Yes!  That was the first rock concert I ever attended...it was a lot of fun,
despite the fact that the band played virtually NONE of my favorite
songs...and they DID play the ONLY BOC song that I hated, at the time: I Love
the Night.  The only songs they did from the first three albums were Cities on
Flame, Hot Rails, and Red & the Black...that was IT...nothing else from the
first two albums, and no songs from Secret Treaties (my favorite BOC album).
Nor did they play any of the Moorcock songs.  At least they played Golden Age
of Leather...  They did three cover tunes, Roadhouse Blues, I Ain't Got You,
and Born to be Wild, as well as another rarely heard song, Fallen Angel (and
Joe also played a wild bass solo), plus Born to Rock from the Buck Dharma solo
album.  Other than that it was the standards...  I did, however, have a
TERRIFIC time anyway! :-)  I'll never forget the giant Godzilla, Bloom riding
onstage on his enormous motorcycle, being blinded by the guitar mirrors, the
wild special effects during Joan Crawford...ah, the good old days...:-)

Steven Tice
Calliope Comics
Bellefonte, PA